On the 17th July the Here To team brought together a group of organisations and residents in several workshops to start gathering their ideas and thoughts on how we can make Here To the most beneficial to residents and organisations in Islington.
We hope to increase involvement in both local resident community projects and larger scale charity projects and volunteering roles.
The representatives from a range of national charities, small community groups, council members and residents in Islington came together to discuss what we can do to improve engagement with the Islington community. Lots of ideas, dreams and wishes were put up on post its and discussed around the group.
It was brilliant to see many positive people interested in getting involved and support the new Islington project.
Here are a few of the things that we learnt from the workshops:
- Organisations are keen to work together and share resources to provide more benefits and ‘thank you’s to their volunteers, similar to Orange Rockcorps ‘Give, Get Given’ method.
- There are plenty of people willing to get involved, but organisations say there is often an unmet need for the right skills and commitment levels for the roles.
- Word of mouth and personal networks is an extremely powerful mobilising tool – mentioned by both volunteers and organisations.
- Residents are keen to find specific roles at specific times that are in line with their skills, ambitions and passions.
- There is the need to break down volunteering opportunities in to smaller chunks or tasks, and to highlight what is in the opportunity for the helper, beyond “doing good”.
There were loads of tips picked up from those who came along and discussions that took place and we will be taking everything on board in the development of our amazing new site.
In the mean time we would love to get as many whizz bang ideas and creative thoughts as possible so please let us know if you agree with our key learnings above and any new things you would like to add.
Please add your comments below or email email@example.com